The College Library was established in the year 1880 along with the establishment of the College. The main building of the College was commissioned for use in 1885 and the library was shifted to one of the halls of this building in 1886. During the centenary celebration of the college in 1980, a centenary memorial extension to the main building was constructed and the library was shifted to this new building where it is presently located. It occupies a total area of more than 14,000 sqft and is spread over three floors. It has a seating capacity for 250 users at a time.
Over the years, the library has stacked with carefully chosen books for the use of the staff and the students. At present, the library has over 87,000 books and bound volumes of journals covering a wide variety of subjects. It also receives over 230 current journals on various subjects. The library subscribes N-LIST, DELNET, PROQUEST and J-GATE databases, which contained many e-Books and e-Journals.
Technical Processing of Books
Classification & Cataloguing: The College library uses Dewey Decimal Classification Scheme for classifying the books. Classified Catalogue Code is used to prepare the catalogue entries in the library software.
Use of software for library automation:KOHA
Koha is an open source integrated library management systemfor libraries. Library is fully automated using RFID technology.
WEB OPAC: Online Public Access Catalogue http://18.104.22.168:8081/
Reference Service: A well-furnished reference section is maintained in the library where staff and students can pick the book of their choice and make reference. Important textbooks, Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Reference Books, Multiple volume sets, Dissertations, Question paper sets etc. are displayed in this section.
Periodicals Section: Newspapers and periodicals are kept in the periodicals section. Students and staff can read and refer to the periodicals and, if required, ask for photocopies. Library receives more than 230 journals and magazines